Thursday, November 10, 2011

Introductions...

Greetings to all!

Personal information:
·         Hometown—I was born in beautiful downtown Suffolk, VA in Obici Hospital.  The majority of my family still lives there, although I reside in Portsmouth. My parents named me Anna Leigh Morris; I simply prefer to be called Anna.
·         Professional backgroundMy education has been ongoing throughout my career as an educator; I consider it a blessing to be a lifelong learner, never tiring of knowledge.  I first attended Longwood University and have a double major in English and Classical Studies.  My graduate degree is also in English from the University of North Carolina with a concentration in British Literature with a Collegiate Professional Certificate.  My first teaching experience was at Suffolk High School, followed by Woodrow Wilson High School in Portsmouth until it was closed and relocated at the former Manor High School.  I taught English 12 and AP English, helping to create the AP program for our school system.  Upon the closure of “old” Wilson, I was named English Chair at Churchland High School, continuing to instruct classes in Senior English which was my favorite course. Currently, I supervise English for Portsmouth Schools, working with all three high schools—Churchland, I.C. Norcom, and Woodrow Wilson.  I consider my work a labor of love.  I can say with pride, I love teachers and enjoy the opportunity to support, encourage, and provide resources to help them and to collaborate with all of their dedicated efforts.  It is a dream job to me because I truly adore my subject area—literature, writing, grammar, and the Humanities. My office is located at Instructional Resources Center with the English Content Team.
·         A few of my more interesting hobbies—I love music, theater, and the arts; so, I find it a pleasure to be a member of the Chrysler Museum and the Virginia Stage Company.  History is such a plus in this area, so I would include Colonial Williamsburg and all it offers as another of my interests.  Sporting events such as ODU, UVa, and UNC football are fun to attend with my family.  Working in my yard and being outside at the ocean is relaxing to me, with occasional weekend trips to the Outer Banks and Manteo to one of my favorite haunts, the Manteo Bookseller appeals to a former English teacher who reads constantly.  Seeing movies at The Naro in Norfolk is another activity my friends and I look forward to, as well as winery tours on the weekends.  I find it fun to shop and explore new restaurants to try different cuisines.  One of the most memorable trips I experienced was to the UK; my family is originally from Wales, so spending a month there was really something I cherish in my memories.  I have one daughter, Elizabeth, who attended Temple University, and is now completing a degree in Political Science at ODU.  Her boyfriend, Dorian, is from Naples, Italy, so I hope to visit there with both of them and spend some time meeting his family in the future.  I attend St. Christopher’s Episcopal Church in Portsmouth with my family.
·         Learning Style and More—To feel comfortable taking intellectual risks, I need to feel supported and encouraged.  Honestly, I like being pushed to think new thoughts and try new things, to be shaken out of complacency to experience what I may not have done on my own.  Taking risks especially involves trust and respect, so an atmosphere where students can honestly and openly explore thoughts and ideas is a must.  Participating on many levels, through dialogue, as well and problem solving and collaboration—a variety of expressions.  Truthfully, I find I learn so much from listening, discussing, reading, and researching to help formulate my thoughts and opinions.  I like to be well-prepared in order to be successful. There is a great sense of accomplishment in exploring new domains.  My classes through Regent have challenged me way beyond my comfort zone of familiarity with English.  I was amazed I could successfully learn about quantitative and qualitative research design; our Regent professors are so amazingly supportive to allow us to take intellectual risks. Their help, support, and even prayers have been exhibited their commitment to this experience. 
My self-perception of myself as a learner?  I am a note-taker, reader, and am pretty self-motivated. I like to work to the best of my ability, not half-heartedly. I believe in a work ethic.  When I view myself, I see myself at my computer plugging away, any form of written expression is my favorite.  I like to stay ahead of the curve, preparedness, doing my homework—I am not a procrastinator.  I feel more at ease once my work is completed—last minute-y is definitely not my style.  I would not stereotype myself as one particular learning style.  I learn well from listening to what my professors say since I respect their expertise. Avid reading and looking up information is part of my approach.  If I do not understand something, I will read more, research the topic, or ask someone who I feel certain will have an understanding, but I want accurate information. I like reliable sources when I am seeking answers and understanding.
·         Technology Section-- Reflecting on the most important technological invention is a tough decision, but probably the computer.  It has become such an integral part of daily life, almost inseparable from every aspect of what it takes to function.  It is hard to remember how we functioned without it when you really stop and think about it. 
Technologies essential to my life:

--Computer
--Notebook
--iPod
--Smartphone*
--Nook*
--Jump drive
--Television
--Digital camera*
--GPS
--Medical technologies—CT Scans, MRI and others
--QR Codes

 In relation to technology, what life is like for after a typical school day may be described when I leave work at 4:00 p.m. –if I am driving the family car, I can listen to Sirius radio and look to a plethora of choices.  I grab my Android phone and quickly text my daughter before pulling out of the parking lot, followed by a quick e-mail message check before calling my senior citizen mom to check on her and say hello to see if she needs anything.  I may use the microwave to warm up part of our dinner, while turning on the evening news to hear the latest events on cable television.  My Nook is on the counter if I want to read The New York Times before I go to the Y, where I take my iPod to listen to my favorite tunes while working out.  After dinner, a bit of evening television is in order for entertainment, and I may visit my neighbor to Skype her children in South Korea so we can visit with her new granddaughter, baby Eliana around 7 p.m. (It is 7 a.m. there).  Before bedtime, I may use a Clarisonic as a part of my nightly skincare routine, before it is time to go to sleep. If my doctor has done any recent tests or blood work, I can check MyChart online to read the results and e-mail him for any concerns or set up appointments.   With notebook in hand, I will check my messages and read what my friends in my social network are doing on Facebook just for fun, before I say goodnight by setting the alarm on my Smartphone for the morning ahead. What would we do without all the convenience?
Some uses of technology that I believe tend to be inappropriate or used excessively (by children in or out of school, by teachers in or out of school) or promoted excessively (by the media, the computer industry, schools), i.e. ones that should be restricted or regulated in key ways: primarily cell phone usage; many teachers are texting students, students are attached to their phones, and although there may be rules and boundaries set up, it seems the high schools are always dealing with some  issue regarding electronic devices—cheating, setting up fights, and academic distraction.  I attended a workshop recently with PPS showing the innovation of Smartphones as learning tools. Unfortunately, our district prohibits there use in class, causing us to wonder if the policy will be changing.  Social networking causes drama at times, in terms of bullying where there have been some unhappy endings. One student was recently suspended for 90 days because of a threat she made to a teacher because she did not like a grade she received in the course. Lots to ponder…



7 comments:

  1. Hi Anna!

    Great blog! I especially love your very fun picture of the UK telephone booths, and of course LUCKY! Aren't dogs just the next best things to babies/kiddos?! Scout and Lucky will have to have a play date! Haha!

    You have been such an inspiration to me throughout our time together in this program! I have GREATLY enjoyed working with you on the plethora of challenging assignments we've had to complete throughout our courses. I have learned so much from you, and the rest of our "family group," by sharing thoughts, discussing important academic issues, and challenging each other to think outside of the box.

    Your love of learning is so refreshing! I hope that I will feel the same as you do, and be just as motivated as you are, after contributing as many years to the educational field as you have. Your organization, preparation, and willingness to find answers to challenging problems are the ideal traits for a successful administrator/educational leader. Most importantly, I cherish the friendship that we've developed!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna,

    I really enjoyed reading your introduction. I love the way you designed your blog. I know we really don't get a chance to talk much in class because we are both actively engaged. However, I have been meaning to tell you how GREAT you look.

    I noticed that you mentioned that you have a book nook. It is very nice to have many books in one small device. I am still learning how to use mine. I agree that technology has become an integral part of our lives. It seems that it has quickly transformed the way we see and do daily activities. It will be very interesting to see what else is in store for us related to technology.

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Cross,
    I love your blog and it is so informative. You are truly a pleasure to be around and I just love your spirit of determination and courage. I love reading also and its nothing more exciting to me than a great book. Thank you for sharing and continue to be an inspiration to all of those individuals who are blessed to cross paths with you.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna,

    You are such an inspiration! You are truly someone I truly respect and can learn a great deal from.

    I pray many blessings for you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading your blog. You are such a beautiful and insprirational woman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna,

    You are truly excited about life in general aren't you? It is such a pleasure to have you in class. I see that you listed the Nook as an essential technology in your life. How do you like the Nook? Do you have the Nook Color?
    Dr. Walker

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Walker,
    I tend to be a tad bit enthusiastic about life, I suppose. Thanks so much for the kind comments. I am glad to be learning new things with you. I was rather old school about print books--they are so much a part of my job and life. My family won me over last Christmas when they pulled a fast one and gave me a Nook. :)
    I have absolutely loved it--so convenient and portable, just a great present that keeps on giving.

    ReplyDelete